Monday, February 16, 2009

Pileated Woodpecker













I've heard the strident call of the pileated woodpecker every once in a while for the past several years, but have never been close enough to one to get a good picture. This morning, I nearly lost my breath when a huge bird swooped directly over my head while I was walking near the woods, and landed within 10 feet of where I stood awestruck. He began digging for insects in the rotten, moss-covered tree branch directly in front of me, the red on his head bobbing repeatedly as he ate. I enjoyed the show for about 5 minutes, then he once again flew over my head and left ... never knowing how much his little show meant to me.

1 comment:

  1. How absolutely beautiful, Sissy! Amazing the he was not fearful of you--he must know you are a part of the woods.

    You have the precious gift some photographers have(our brother has it)of being in the right place at the right time. What a gorgeous bird.

    ReplyDelete