Monday, July 20, 2009

A Rose for Fred


Uncle Fred. Just saying his name brings a smile. Crotchety old guy, loud booming voice. Heart of gold. He grew up with my dad; his cousin. He called Dad brother though. "Not 'big' brother, older brother" (lifting himself tall, patting his round tummy).

He lives in Idaho. When he heard about Dad's accident, he climbed into his ancient motorhome and started driving. Claimed he had to visit his family in Washington. So he did, then drove all morning to get here.

He still had another 2 hour drive to see his 'older' brother, and I tried to get him to stop for a while to rest. His loud booming voice muted. No. I have to see him. Now. A tear; another. Now I had a tear; another. We mopped our eyes, and smiled. I gave him the address. He tottered back to his motorhome, and was gone.

He is now happily visiting his 'older brother'. The Best Medicine in the World. For both of them.

6 comments:

  1. It's so funny--When Dad was getting settled into our sister's place he remarked, "I would not be surprised if Fred hopped into his car and is on his way here not."

    Well, he was right. He's with Dad and Mom, and I'm on my way over there this morning to visit him and them.

    What grand old soldiers they are! How delightful are these aged "brothers."

    By the way, what a BEAUTIFUL rose picture! it fills ny eyes with color and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that Dad is doing well.
    I know that has to be comforting :)
    THANKS DEAR CLYTIE FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF MY BLOGS - OH SO THANKFUL FOR YOUR & BETH'S FREINDSHIP.
    BTW
    WAS WONDERING WHAT YOUR NAME
    CLYTIE MEANS ?? IS THAT YOUR FIRST NAME ?
    JANN IS ACTUALLY MY NICK NAME I HAVE ALWAYS
    GONE BY, MY REAL FIRST NAME IS -
    BETTY. NOW I ASK YOU, DO I LOOK LIKE A BETTY??
    MY MOM'S FIRST NAME WAS BETTY AND I WAS NAMED AFTER HER. MY NICK NAME COMES FROM MY MIDDLE NAME :)
    CAN YOU GUESS WHAT IT IS ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is facinating to me that in our darkest hours we find out who is truly there for us, Sometimes it's a revelation of how much we are loved. When that love comes to us from unexpected places or with great sacrifice or effort to bestow.
    I am so happy your father is doing well. We are all truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Clytie
    Oh my goodness this really made me cry .
    Happy Tears of course.
    Such a wonderful expression of family,friendship and love.
    Thank you for sharing .
    Blessings to you.
    Hope that you have a really nice rest of the week.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful story. Uncle Fred sounds great! And his rose is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete